Monday, April 4, 2011

DVD copying is too much slow, PIO issue


Share at Facebook

Recently I had a problem with my DVD drive on my Desktop. It was kinda weird. It was taking too much time while copying anything from the DVD disk to local hard drive. After searching google, finally I came up with a solution that worked for me. I am sharing exactly what I found from Web. My OS is Windows XP(SP 2).


Go to Device Manager [Right-click on My Computer; select Properties; click on the Hardware tab; then click on Device Manager]. Expand the IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers line (click the "+" sign]. For each of the channels (Primary & Secondary) do the following: Right-click; select Properties; and click on the Advanced Settings tab. Be sure the "Tranfer Mode" for all devices is set to "DMA if Available" => change it to that if necessary. And look at the "Current Transfer Mode" (You can't change this) -- if ANY of these say "PIO" that is almost certainly your problem.

If ANY of the settings said PIO, then do the following:

Load RegEdit (Start - Run - Regedit)

Go to the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x

The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on.

Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values (not every key will have these values, but delete them whenever they occur):

MasterIdDataChecksum
SlaveIdDataChecksum

Now just reboot the system & all should be well


I was nearly about to buy a new DVD drive. But this solution saved some bucks from my pocket. Who knows, the new DVD drive could show this error too :-)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks