Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pidgin crashes while starting


Share at Facebook

I'm using CentOS 5.1, and just wanted to update my pidgin using "yum update pidgin", its updated something, but after that my pidgin used to crash. And giving me the error "pidgin:undefined symbol:gst_registry_fork_set_enabled" when I ran from command line.

I have removed/erased the pidgin using "yum remove pidgin" and "yum erase pidgin", and installed again using "yum install pidgin" but not working. Same undefined ... error once again.

I just didn't know what was going on. But finally got rescued fortunately. From a blog I found that yum will display a message something like below


Dependencies Resolved

=============================================
Package Arch Version Repository
=============================================
Installing:
pidgin x86_64 2.5.2-6.el5 base


But instead of base, my pidgin was showing me updates on the script. I mean as below

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================
Package Arch Version Repository
=============================================
Installing:
pidgin x86_64 2.5.5-6.el5 updates


I have just disabled the updates for installing, and worked for me. Below is what I used to install pidgin with disabling updates Repository.

yum install --disablerepo=updates pidgin


This command just took the version 2.5.2-6.el5 from base repository instead of picking 2.5.5-6.el5 from updates repository.

I'm now happy.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet, the command "yum install --disablerepo=updates pidgin" helped for me. I think mine was exactly your problem. Thanks for saving my time...

Wolf said...

If you still see the problem happening, then you'll need to update your gstreamer. To do this just run the below command.

yum update gstreamer*